The Actuarial Mathematics Option
The Core Courses of the Major
- Ordinary Differential Equations (MATH 520)
- Linear Algebra
This requirement can be fulfilled with Linear Algebra (MATH 544) or with Numerical Linear Algebra (MATH 526). Major credit may not be received for both MATH 526 and MATH 544.
- Algebraic Structures I (MATH 546)
- Analysis I (MATH 554)
- Discrete Mathematics I (MATH 574)
- Probability (MATH 511=STAT 511)
- Discrete Optimization (MATH 570) or Nonlinear Optimization (MATH 524)
- Three hours of coursework in MATH at the 500 level.
- The actuarial emphasis in the mathematics major includes a cognate (or minor) in Statistics or in Risk Management and Insurance. A minimum of 24 credit hours in these disciplines must be completed in conformance to the constraints below.
- Statistics Component: STAT 512 and STAT 513 are required for the actuarial emphasis, accounting for 6 of the credit hours required. STAT 510 and STAT 520 (=MGSC 520) may be used in addition.
- Business Administration Component: ACCT 222, ECON 224, FINA 363 (=ECON 363), and either FINA 341 or FINA 444 are required for the actuarial emphasis, accounting for 12 of the credit hours required. Courses selected from FINA 364, FINA 442, FINA 443, FINA 444, FINA 445, MGSC 392, MGSC 393, MGSC 520 (=STAT 520), MGSC 594, ECON 420, ECON 436 and BADM 499 may be used in addition. For a minor in Risk Management and Insurance, of the addtional 6 hours, an additional three hours must be chosen from FINA 442, FINA 443, FINA 444, or FINA 445.
- CSCE 145
- One of CSCE 146, MGSC 490,or STAT 517.