The Applied Mathematics Options
The Core Courses of the Major
- Ordinary Differential Equations (MATH 520)
- Linear Algebra
This requirement can be fulfilled with Linear Algebra (MATH 544) or with Numerical Linear Algebra (MATH 526). Major credit may not be received for both MATH 526 and MATH 544. While MATH 544 is a 3 hour course, MATH 526 is a 4 hour course that includes of computational laboratory component. MATH 526 is recommended for majors with the applied emphasis.
- Algebraic Structures I (MATH 546)
- Analysis I (MATH 554)
- Discrete Mathematics I (MATH 574)
The Applied Mathematics Electives
- Two additional courses must be selected from some one of the five categories listed below and one further course must be selected from a different category.
- Differential Equations and Modeling: Boundary Value Problems and Partial Differential Equations (MATH 521), Wavelets (MATH 522), and Mathematical Modeling for Population Biology (MATH 523).
- Discrete Mathematics: Discrete Optimization (MATH 570), Discrete Mathematics II (MATH 575), Introduction to Cryptography (MATH 587=CSCI 557), Algebraic Coding Theory (MATH 541), and Combinatorial Game Theory (MATH 576).
- Financial Mathematics and Probability: Probability (MATH 511=STAT 511), Financial Mathematics I (MATH 514), and Financial Mathematics II (MATH 515).
- Optimization and Computation: Nonlinear Optimization (MATH 524), Numerical Analysis (MATH 527), and Discrete Optimization (MATH 570).
- Analysis: Analysis I (MATH 550) and Applied Complex Analysis (MATH 552).